Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2011

He Counted His Blessings

He Counted His Blessings
By Cindy Beall
This week's topic: Mothers


He told me he was depressed when I tucked him in last night. Of course that made my heart sad. As his momma, I don't want him to feel depressed. I also didn't just dismiss it because I don't want to be that parent who says, "Oh, you're fine." I want him to know that I will listen to him and consider what he has to say.


I prayed for him and because he attended a slumber party the night before where he only slept five hours, he drifted off to dreamland fairly quickly.

This morning he walked into my study and said, "Mom, remember when I was sad last night? Well, I thought about how sad I might be if I didn't have a house to live in or a family to love. Then, I realized how I do have that and it made me thankful."

My heart swelled with pride that only momma's get and I said, "You counted your blessings."
And he smiled and said, "Yeah, I guess I did."

Sometimes I grow weary in my mothering role, wondering if I am doing enough or saying enough or training them enough. And then God, in His infinite wisdom and mercy, decides to bless me with a gift such as this. It's like God said to me, "See Cindy, he is listening. Keep up the hard work. It's paying off."

So I will keep training my sons to love Jesus, love others, walk in gratitude, give generously and serve their part of the world without expecting anything in return.

Moms, the hardest job we have is being mothers. I know how long the days are when you need that 14-month old to just take a nap. I know the struggles you face when you desire first-time obedience from your children and don’t receive it. I get that for once you just wish someone would thank you for all of the sacrifices you make.

Just remember that your efforts are not in vain. You are working for something eternal, more than just a temporary pat on the back. You are incredible women of God who are training the future men and women who will change the world for Christ.

Believe it. Own it. Step into it.

Scripture Of The Day: “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment